Friday, 4 October 2013

Similar Product Research 3 by Lucy Barker - Lauren Aquilina, Sinners

Lauren Aquilina - Sinners

This video has performance, concept and a little bit of narrative in it, which is similar to our ideas. I chose to analyse it because I think the imagery and codes used are very powerful. For example the fire which means danger and links in with the tittle of the song 'sinners' this agrees to Goodwins theory, were he says that the lyrics have a visual link. The lyric 'our hearts are too ruthless to brake, let's start fires for heavens sake' is also shown against images of fires braking out on the beach. The video also concentrates on the artist, a convention of all the videos I have looked at that fit into the category of singer songwriter or indie. This is a convention I want to stick to as it creates a look that goes towards the full package, I want my artist to get recognised so I need to put her in the video in almost all of the shots. Codes such as the key are used to give a deeper meaning, it could symbolise secrets being locked away, the interaction with the shots of her looking at the key show that this is why she is singing the song. The average shot length slows down towards the end of the video showing an anticlimax. The mise en scene shows re-curring props such as the bed and on the beach the close ups of faces show panick and disorder. The contrast between the fire that brakes out on the beach and the rain that pours onto her when she is sat on the bed shows pathetic fallacy - it displays her mood or the mood of the song. This video will appeal to teenagers 16-18 because they can relate with the artist, who is also a teenager and it's important that she isn't portrayed as someone older or younger (which she isn't) because it's part of the hook that make people want to watch her videos.
Anaylsing this video has helped me to realise the importance of the locations I chose, especially if they are outdoors becuase the weather and lighting can inflict a meaning.

Sinners is produced by Kode media which is a London based media industry. It is a smaller institution compared to Interscope which is owned by Universal. But because Lauren Aquilina is a small 'undiscovered' artist it fits and I think the overall product is very good. The director of the video is Daniel Broadley who is best suited to direct Lauren's video because although it looks great it was made with low end equipment, he can also promote a star/artist because he knows how to reflect them through the music video.

No comments:

Post a Comment